Friday, October 22, 2010

The Turquoise Ledge in Santa Cruz

Last nightg Book Shop Santa Cruz hosted the legend that is Leslie Marmon Silko, who read from her new book The Turquoise Ledge. The Turquoise Ledge is part memoir, part family history, and all wonderful. We had a great turn out and I was honored to introduce Leslie, whom I had never met, but I felt like I knew. Her father, the photographer, Lee Marmon, took James and I and the kids out to coffee at the market in Laguna when we were last in New Mexico two years ago. The Marmons are cousin through Laguna to the Francis family, including Paula Gunn Allen, Carol Lee Sanchez, and Lee Francis III and IV.

Also in attendance last night were several UCSC faculty and staff, including Karen Tei Yamashita, who has been honored with a National Book Award nomination:
http://news.ucsc.edu/2010/10/yamashita-national-book-award.html

Karen was an early inspiration to me when we worked at KCET in Los Angeles in the 1980's where she wrote Tropic of Orange, while working full-time.

All around a good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog